Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development
Thinking outside the lines - GCD's Aninyda Bagchi shares his insight into the process of discover and how to set the stage for students to make their own.
Genome jump start A symposium this spring catalyzed conversations at the U about a paradigm shift in medicine.
A closer look at cilia GCD's Richard Linck uncovers structure, protein elements within cilia critical to human function and disease.
Courtney Coombes (Gardner lab) and Spencer Luebben (Shima lab) participated in the inaugural 3 Minute Thesis competition during the 7th annual Biomedical Sciences Graduate Programs Research Recognition Day on May 24, 2014. Nine Ph.D. graduate students participated. It is very exciting to announce that Courtney won first prize in the competition. Congratulations to Spencer for delivering a great presentation as well.
Videos of their presentations (as well as the presentations of the other participants) have been posted online at https://www.youtube.com/user/umnhealthsciences/videos. Direct links to their presentations are below.
Courtney Coombes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9EssVgtbrs
Spencer Luebben - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fMaWdWH-uQ
A faculty reception was held honoring the following faculty. Congratulations to all.
- Eric Bauer - Retiring June 16, 2014
- Sean Conner - Wall of Science Paper
- Melissa Gardner - NSF Career Award
- Laura Gammill – Promotion to Associate Professor with tenure
- Dick Linck – Journal of Biological Chemistry Paper-of-the-Week – means it is in the top 2% of 6,000 papers published within a year
- Nik Somia - Wall of Science Paper
- Tim Starr – recipient of the 2013 Novel Methods Pilot Award from the Clinical and Translational
- Science Institute (CTSI) from his project "Modeling Combination Targeted Therapy."
- Robin Wright - GSA Medal
- Robin Wright – received an HHMI grant in theme area “Student Learning and Faculty Development
- Communities” - $1.2 million over 5 years
Student awarded Golden Pipette winners and runner's up -
- Dave Matthes – Winner Most Engaging Professor and Runner-up Funniest Professor
- Rob Brooker – Runner-up Most Engaging Professor
- Tim Starr – Winner Best Research Mentor
- Robin Wright – Runner-up CBS Super Fan
- Ann Rougvie – Runner-up Most Personable Professor
U.S. Geological Society names Mount Sinha in Marie Byrd Land, Antarctica after Professor Akhouri Sinha. read more
Seminars + events
Genetics, cell biology and development seminars will resume in the Fall.
Biomedical Sciences Graduate Programs Virtual Fair